Monday, January 14, 2013

How healthy is your resume?

For my entire adult life, I have been job seeking.  Not in the active "scouring the newspaper/careerbuilder/headhunter" way, but I am always ALWAYS open and ready for the next opportunity coming my way.  I tend to do my best to never burn bridges, even if the job I leave wasn't right for me, or me for the organization....I always want to find someone who will vouch for me, or perhaps allow me my next entree.  At my current job, one of the owners is amazed that I keep in touch with people from one of my first jobs....I told her that I really feel that there's an importance in the personal connection....if there is one position open and I have worked before with "Deirdre" but the 1190 other candidates have not, the chance that my resume is really reviewed is that much better.  It only makes sense to try to find a way to get your foot in the door, and not have it slam in your face.

At 45 I still don't really know what I want to do when I grow up and I figure I have at least 25 more years of work ahead of me, so why should I be set at this moment in time?  Regardless, I have three resumes ready to go at any time, highlighting my skills in various ways for a few different industries.  If someone from Krieger College is looking for an Alumni Relations person, I have a resume for that and can prepare a cover letter and reference list pertinent to the position within 15 minutes.  If Heinz Telecom has a project manager/provisioning position open and it piques my interest, I have the same ready to go.  I have my bases covered as well in a more general "customer support/agent services" type of career path, since most, if not all, of these skills transfer, sometimes potential employers need it laid out clearly for them.  

I am amazed, though, at how lazy some people are in their professional lives...complacent, even in the face of true economic downturn and downsizing in the company that they work for.  While feeling secure in one's job is great, it is detrimental if you feel secure in a company that is actively changing around you.  Simply retaining your position or being promoted through your company for 10 years doesn't mean there is truly loyalty, and why wouldn't a person have their ducks in a row no matter how secure?? Today it's not enough to say you know the MS suite of products, have experience with Photoshop and are familiar with data base management tools.... you need to SELL yourself along with your skills -- it is also important in many fields that you have social networking/media experience and abilities.  Even companies live on the internet now....the way that you interact with others reflects in many ways with how the population will perceive THEM.  

Every day most of us find time to eat reasonably healthy meals, drink water, sleep..... How much time does it take in your life to ensure you are professionally healthy?  Why not take a few moments every few months to review your resume to reflect not only your skills, but how they fit into the needs of today's employment landscape -- how does it reflect your personal brand?   Update your  software skills, include if you have had any outside training (do you have an MSE certification?  Is Six Sigma something you are skilled in?  Process management?  HRIS?).  Ask a trusted colleague, friend, or impartial acquaintance to review it for content, errors and overall understandability, though you aren't actively job seeking.....(but i think you should always be looking....) You will be prepared even if you live with blinders on, and believe that your job is safe until you decide to move, wouldn't you feel better knowing you are prepared in case your dream job opens up?  

What are YOU doing today to change your professional outlook or prepare for your next big break?




No comments:

Post a Comment